To keep pace with advancing technologies, Pall continues its tradition of filtration innovations with the Profile Star polypropylene particulate filter cartridge: a state-of-the-art concept for pleated polypropylene filters. The proven and successful Pall technique of varying the fiber diameter produces a pore-size gradient from coarse (upstream) to fine (downstream) while maintaining constant high void-volume throughout the depth of the filter medium. Profile Star filters offer longer life than many competitive pleated filters. Due to their proprietary construction, Profile Star filters deliver the benefits of both traditional pleated polypropylene and depth style filters — the ideal combination. The pressure drop and flow capability are comparable to competitive pleated polypropylene filters while also providing an excellent removal of soft contaminants, such as gels, because of the depth of the medium. Profile Star filters are available in absolute removal ratings from 1.0 µm to 90 µm and in four nominal cartridge lengths:
- 254 mm (10 in.)
- 508 mm (20 in.)
- 762 mm (30 in.)
- 1016 mm (40 in.)
Their all-polypropylene construction makes them compatible with an extremely wide range of fluids. Cartridges are available in a P grade which is optimized for pharmaceutical applications.
Note: These filters are also available in Kleenpak Nova capsule format.
Features and Benefits
- Extraordinarily high dirt-holding capacity
- Long service life
- High flow-rates
- Excellent gel removal capability
Fixed Pore Structure
- No solids unloading under variations in flow or pressure differential
- Fibers will not migrate or become dislodged and contaminate process fluid
- Extremely good chemical compatibility with a wide range of fluids
- Very low extractables
- No surfactants or binder resins are used during manufacture
- Continuous construction without side seam
- Media melt-sealed to solid components to ensure maximum integrity
Quality and Bio-Safety
- Meets USP Biological Reactivity, In Vivo, for Class VI-121 °C plastics
Effluent Quality Tests*
- Meets Cleanliness per USP Particulates in Injectables
- Non-Pyrogenic per USP Bacterial Endotoxins (< 0.25 EU/mL)
- Meets Total Organic Carbon and Water Conductivity per USP Purified Water, pH per USP Sterile Purified Water
* Per lot sample soak or rinse-up flush aliquots.
Materials of Construction
|Filter Medium, Cage, Core, End Caps and Adapters||Polypropylene|
|O-rings||Silicone or Ethylene Propylene (EPDM) as standard|
Maximum Operating Differential Pressures and Temperatures in Compatible Liquids1
|Maximum Operating Temperature||50 °C||80 °C|
|Maximum Differential Pressure||5.0 bar (72 psi)||3.4 bar (49 psi)|
Steam-sterilizing Temperature (in situ or Autoclave)
|AB Code 3 P grade and AB Code 7|
Maximum Recommended Cumulative Steam Life at 125 °C
Typical Flow Rates
Note: Differential pressures are for liquids with a viscosity of 1 cP. Differential pressures for liquids at other viscosities can be conservatively estimated by multiplying the indicated differential pressure by the viscosity in cP. For cartridges of 20 in. (508 mm), 30 in. (762 mm) and 40 in. (1016 mm) nominal length, divide the differential pressure by 2, 3 and 4 respectively. To obtain the total pressure drop of a complete filter assembly the housing pressure drop must be added. Please refer to the relevant housing literature or contact Pall
If the above table does not display clearly in your browser, you may download it here for easier viewing.
Profile® Star Polypropylene Particulate Filter Cartridges by Pall take advantage of pleat technology for high flow rates, increased dirt holding capacity, and long service life. Filter design includes a fixed pore structure to prevent fibers from migrating and dislodging. It uses all polypropylene construction for its wide chemical compatibility and high integrity.