Membralox ceramic membranes comprise a highly controlled surface membrane layer that is formed on the inner (feed-side) surface of a more open support layer. Three different types of materials are available, ultrapure, µalumina, zirconia and titania. All of these materials are FDA-listed for suitability in pharmaceutical processes. Ceramic membranes exhibit near zero non-specific adsorption of biological materials. Membralox ceramic elements featuring an asymmetric membrane structure combine a unique design and manufacturing process resulting in a product ideally suited for applications involving chemicals, including solvents, extremes of pH, high temperatures and pressure processing of and fermentation broths. The compact multi-channel geometry and high permeability are optimized for bulk processing applications. Multiple modules each comprising a number of membrane elements can be easily assembled on manifolds to handle any scale of operation.
- Ease of use
- High flux
- Proven long operational life
- Wide chemical and pH (0 – 14) compatibility
- Excellent thermal stability
- Sanitizable and sterilizable
- Element burst pressure > 50 bar
- Ability to withstand high frequency backpulsing cycles
- Components are FDA-listed in 21 CFR Part 11
- 100% bubble point integrity-tested
Ceramic Membrane Structure
Electron Micrograph showing Membralox membrane layers on top of a more open support layer.
- Clarification of bulk fermentation broths
- Protein removal from antibiotics
- Processing of alginates and other excipients
- Clarification of solvent extracts
- Pyrogen and bacteria removal in high purity systems
Membrane Module VersatilityMembralox membrane elements are assembled in housings containing modules with up to 60 elements per module. This versatility simplifies system designs, allowing optimal sizing of membrane area for each application.
Membralox GP Ceramic Microfiltration MembranesThe Membralox GP range of ceramic membrane elements have a calibrated longitudinal permeability gradient, that maintains a constant and uniform flux along all parts of the element. This optimizes the microfiltration of complex, transmission sensitive feed streams.
- Stability of the filtration regime
- Standard modules accommodate these unidirectional flow directional membranes
- Uniform transmembrane pressure simplifies system designs
- A wide range of calibrated permeability gradient options are available to suit different feedstream characteristics
Food Contact Compliance
- Membralox Ceramic Membranes Declaration of Compliance
Membrane Element Configurations
|P37 – 30||P19 – 40||P19 – 60|
|Channel Diameter||3 mm||4 mm||6 mm|
|Number of Channels||37||19||19|
|Filtration Surface Area||0.35 m2 (3.77 ft2)||0.24 m2 (2.58 ft2)||0.36 m2 (3.88 ft2)|
|Length||1020 mm||1020 mm||1020 mm|
|Material||Ultrapure a alumina (> 99.7%)||Ultrapure a alumina (> 99.7%)||Ultrapure a alumina (> 99.7%)|
Membrane Pore Sizes
- Microfiltration: 5.0, 2.0, 1.4*, 0.8*, 0.5*, 0.2*, 0.1* µm (a alumina)
- Ultrafiltration: 100, 50, 20 nm (zirconia) 5000, 1000 Da MWCO (titania)
*Available in Membralox GP membrane version.
Operating Limits in Aqueous Liquids
- Temperature: 95 °C (203 °F)
- Pressure: 8 – 10 barg1
- Differential Back Pressure: 8 bard
Membralox SD Sanitary Modules
|P19 – 60||P19 – 40/P37 – 30|
|Number of Membranes||1 – 3 – 12 – 22||1 – 3 – 7 – 19 – 37|
|Filtration Surface Area||up to 7.9 m2 (85 ft2)||up to 13.0 m2 (140 ft2)|
|Permeate Connections||Sanitary clamps/3A gaskets||Sanitary clamps/3A gaskets|
|Construction of Wetted Materials||316L SS, ceramic,
EPDM or FPM
|316L SS, ceramic, EPDM or FPM|
Membralox HCB Industrial Modules
|Number of Membranes||36||60|
|Filtration Surface Area||13.0 m2||14.4/21.0 m2|
|Retentate Connections||Bolt flanges with O-rings||Bolt flanges with O-rings|
|Permeate Connections||Bolt flanges with flat gaskets||Bolt flanges with flat gaskets|
|316L SS, ceramic, PTFE||316L SS, ceramic, PTFE|
Membralox T1-70 Modules
|Channel Diameter||7 mm|
|Surface Area Filtration||0.005 m2 (0.054 ft2)|
|Housing Material||316L SS|
1Depending on module selected. Contact Pall for additional information.
Membralox SD ModulesThe Membralox SD module features a fully sanitary design for stringent pharmaceutical processes. All wetted components are swept by cleaning solutions ensuring compliance with requirements of cleaning validation. Module hardware and gaskets are available in materials that meet the demands of all cleaning regimes.
- All wetted parts fully accessible by cleaning chemicals
- Vertical operating position enables total drainage
- High-performance sealing assembly with gasket leak detection, eliminates by-pass possibility between retentate and permeate side
- Modules and membrane components fully traceable, materials certificate available upon request
- Long-life, stable and reliable performance
Membralox HCB ModulesThe Membralox HCB module range takes advantage of the unique hexagonal shape of the Membralox ceramic membrane elements to obtain a high membrane packing density up to 240 m2/m3 (2583 ft2/ft3), thus significantly reducing filtration system costs.
Features of the HCB module – increased surface area, reduced permeate hold-up volume, PTFE gaskets for a wider chemical compatibility – provide economical solutions in bulk fermentation broth clarification and pharmaceutical effluent treatment.
- Highly compact for cost-effective system design and small footprint
- Reduced permeate hold-up volume
- Proprietary built-in gasketing solution to ensure perfect sealing
- Wide chemical compatibility
- Long service life
Membralox T1-70 ModulesPotential applications can be conveniently evaluated using this laboratory scale module with integrated ceramic membrane element. Feasibility testing allows the appropriate membrane pore size to be selected for pilot scale studies. The module has a low permeate hold–up volume of 7 mL.
Membralox Pilot Scale SystemsPilot-scale evaluation of Membralox technology with full scale modules can be performed on pilot plant systems. Several options are available on request.
Food and Ingredients